2) If you did an experiment to test the effects of sunlight on the health of a plant, list two things each you could measure for each category:
Qualitative: a) b)
Quantitative: a) b)
3) Units – Fill in the blank
Variable Units Instrument Example
height, size of atoms
Area_____________ruler, tape measure_____________
__________Liters, Gallons, mm3_____________blood
to donate, chemicals
__________Minutes, Secondsclock, stop watch_____________
__________grams, lbs, kg_____________body
weight, bar of gold
4) What is a derived unit? Give one
example of a derived unit.
5) Identify which step of the Scientific Method is represented by the following statements.
(Steps: make an Observation, ask a Question, Research at the library, form a Hypothesis, perform an Experiment, Analyze the data, make a Conclusion)
_________________ - A doctor notices that many patients are coming into her office with a rare form of cancer.
_________________ - The disease is caused by a virus.
_________________ - What has already been learned by other doctors about this cancer?
_________________ - The doctor asks each of the patients if they had any contact with one another or ate at the same place, etc.
_________________ - Of the 65 patients,
42 of them had a blood transfusion in the past 5 years.
6) For the experiment with the plant/sunlight we discussed in class:
a) What was the experimental variable?
b) What was/were the dependent variable(s)?
c) What were the control variables? (give
7) Why do we only test one experimental
variable at a time in an experiment?
8) Why are experiments not considered failures?
|Back to the Physical Science index|