Saga of the Painting: Outside

This is the original color of most of the outside: Pink.  You can argue and call it peach or whatever else you like, I don't care. 

Whatever it was, it was lowering my sperm count.

Here's a long-exposure picture at night (you can even see stars in the image at the original resolution).  The house looks a little more pink in this one.  Bleeech.

Even while we were still working on the spare bedroom and bathroom inside, I started painting the outside.  I wanted to get that out of the way while the weather was cool, but not too cool or, worse yet, windy!

For about a week or more, all the windows were covered with newspaper or tarp.  it was weird to get up in the morning and find the place still completely dark.

Here's the first sprayer I used.  About halfway through the job it decided to crap out on me.  I started reading reviews of Wagner power sprayers on the web while looking for troubleshooting tips.  Man, people hate these things.  They are junk, but when they work, they are a lot faster than using a roller and/or a brush alone.  (You still need to follow up with a brush to do the trim properly.)

When I brought back the broken sprayer, the clerk at the returns desk just rolled her eyes.  "Stopped working on you."  It wasn't a question.  She said these flake out on everyone.  Unfortunately, they're the only brand Home Depot, Lowes, etc. carry other than the professional ones that require a compressor (we're talking about a 3x investment for a full set-up).  I ended up getting a slightly better model, and it held up through the rest of the job.

Here's the ceiling of the back porch.  The geckos seemed to like the pink, but as you can see, I was putting white wherever I could.  After our electric bills this past summer, I wanted something with maximum albedo.

The sprayer is deafeningly loud.  I usually listen to audiobooks while I paint (or do just about anything else), but these were essential for blocking out the noise.

Originally they were black.  They looked even worse than this by the time I was completely finished with the house.

Here's the back of the house after everything was complete.  I finally got the back porch cleaned off and all my stuff on it organized.  As one point I thought this would only take a couple days, so the stuff from the porch just sat in the yard, but then it looked like it was going to rain, so Dani moved all of it into the shed... and that meant I didn't have to rush anymore.  So I didn't, and it took another couple weeks before I finished it because I was free to focus on the more pressing projects inside.

I painted the aforementioned shed as well, but not until I had completely finished everything else with the sprayer.  Then it dawned on me that I still had a pink shed in the yard that didn't match the house.  Rather than digging out the sprayer again and covering the fence with a tarp, Dani I just went ahead and did it with a brush.  I didn't do the back though.  I mean, can you tell?

The porch was really flakey.  Even when we were washing it down, the hose was literally taking chunks of paint off of it.  It had to be completely stripped before we could even think about putting anything new on top of it.

First we tried a chemical stripper, but that was messy and took forever.  Finally I literally spent four (4!) days straight sanding it down with a drill (with various grinding attachments). 

Almost as bad as the power sprayer was the effect of the vibrating my hand to the point I couldn't feel anything.  This feeling (or the lack thereof) lasted for several weeks, which sucked since I'm usually left-handed except when playing guitar.

Look at all the damned bugs in here.  We found all sorts of things when we got around to getting ready to paint...

For instance, there was all this nasty caulk someone had used to cover over a gap that was between two and three inches wide between the wall and the window frame.  It was all bubbling up like a scene from Aliens set in the hive.

It was ugly to begin with, but it was also starting to peel, so I ripped the rest of it out of there.

I filled the space with a 1x4 on the bottom and a thick wooden dowel above that, and fastened them in place with caulk.

When that was dry, we filled the spaces around the wood with joint compound.  No, not THC; this is a mix of gypsum and silicate that hardens somewhat like concrete (though not as strong).

It gets crackly when it dries through... Dani sanded it down...

...and I applied just enough caulk for Dani to smooth thinly over the area.  It looks much better now and is a lot better insulation than the empty space the wind was getting into.

What kind of caulk did we use, you ask?  Heh.

We used it to fill in other spaces around the front porch where there were similar gaps.

I asked Dani if she wanted to use my caulk to fill any other spaces later that night, but she said she was too tired.

Continue to Part II