The Biggest Haunted TV
The third tv set I found.  This time it was on a little detour from my usual route to the vet's office thanks to a water main break.  This was sitting by the side of a curb along with a door and some boards that later found their way into a home-improvement job (Al Gore loves me).  Anyway, this was just too great a find to pass up, so I called up Kristin and we loaded up this and other junk in her truck.



Here's the final version on the night of the Halloween party.

Before you ask, that thing on the top is a bank of UV blacklights I rented from a theatrical shop.


That's the '70s tv set in the foreground on the right.  That only seemed heavy by comparison.  This monster took three of us to move it onto the porch.  Even though most of the electronics (and the screen) were gone, it only had one wheel remaining, one that didn't even turn, incidentally.

I say most of the electronics were gone, but there was still somewhere upwards of 20 lbs. of stuff I was able to remove in the form of excess wood, screws, metal braces, speakers, and that massive transformer in the middle of the frame that weighed at least 12 lbs. by itself.

I don't know what became of the original screen.  This was a projection-style set, so the plan was to reverse-project onto it just like it was intended.

The replacement "screen" is an opaque cover for fluorescent lights, just cut down to size.  It was a bit too narrow, however, so I added some trim (originally wood molding from the Habitat for Humanity re-store) painted black to match the original plastic borders that were too damaged to use.  The trim not only hid the screws holding the screen in place, but also covered the gaps at the top and bottom of the "screen."


First test with a couple automated (color-changing) LED pumpkin lights (shown on other tv pages).  Looks pretty good.  Should have used a tripod for this shot though.

Here's another lighting test.  The plan here was to reverse-project a jack-o-lantern face onto it.

In this case we used a Sharpie on saran wrap with a bulb from a paper lantern (Thanks, Kristin; I actually fixed the wiring on this for her, then never gave it back until after the party).

The face is sideways because we just hung it by its length.  Also, the projection is entirely too small at the distance it's mounted, but any closer to the bulb would likely warp it from the heat.

An alternate approach I considered but never actually explored is to hang individual components from fishing line like a 2D mobile.  This is an option to consider for other applications, especially ones in which the elements are to be in motion.


Second try.  This time we inverted the image...

...by cutting holes in cardboard rather than drawing on a transparent medium.

While the light on the screen looked orange in some of the images above, it was an incandescent bulb.  In reality, it was almost white, so I switched to an orange one...

...but that caused a problem: I needed a different socket now, so I went with this lamp (sans shade; that was destroyed when the useless cat knocked it over a couple weeks earlier).  I placed it on top of a cigar stand, and it turned out to be the perfect height.  Notice also that we replaced the original cut-out with one on poster board.

And here's the end result!



Copyright 2008 the Ale[x]orcist.
Home