Haunted TV: From the '70s
The second set I found after the Predicta.  This was on the side of the road just around the corner from my house, so it was nothing to drop it in the back of the hatchback and haul it home.  Again, no real idea what I was going to do with it, just that it was going to be something cool.



This is almost as scary to me as the fact That '70s Show ran for as long as it did.

When I found it, the electronics had all been removed from the back so that only the picture tube (sans color guns) and a speaker remained.  I can only assume this was to sell the copper in the electromagnets, but I have no idea.

As you can see, I placed tape around the back of the tube in preparation for breaking away more glass.  I didn't know it at the time, but this didn't do much.  Fortunately, no serious damage was made (that wasn't intended).


Dani investigates.

After the initial round of breaking the glass away, I covered the sharp edges with duct tape (camo variety in this case; no reason in particular, just had some left over from a geocaching project).

I didn't stop here, however.  Eventually I went back and scored the glass with a Dremel and did a better job of getting it more even and closer to the screen.


Finally removing the internal metal screen.  I just ended up cutting it out with a utility knife, and then removed the metal bracing that framed it in place later.  It would have been easier to do it all in one step had I removed more of the glass first, but I was still new at this and didn't want to destroy the glass face of the picture tube in the process.

After the metal screen was removed, there was still this layer of phosphor dust that you can literally wipe away with a finger (It's like an Etch-a-Sketch).

I swept it away and polished the glass with a paper towel.

The particle board was flaking away after having been exposed to the rain and 30+ years of use, so I tried to apply wood putty over it to re-constitute the boundaries.  This seemed to work, but it was very messy (I was using old putty for one thing), so I abandoned that idea.  Eventually I just cut away the bottom entirely, and that amputation saved the rest from the spreading infection.  It also made the tv at least 5 lbs lighter which was good because it only had three wheels on the bottom.  The fourth had broken away due to the water damage.

Here's a view from the back of the set out onto the front porch.  That's a bucket full of glass bits from the tube and a box of Halloween decorations.

You'd never been able to see inside the tv set this well without the flash, but I wanted a shot showing the '70s deco on the front (including that gross woven speaker cover).

The knobs really aren't attached to anything since there's little left to attach to inside the set.  I put the volume knob into the hole with plumber's putty.  I did similar with the VHF channel knob, but didn't have the number wheel for the UHF, so that's sitting on top of the set right now.


The mental patient inside was Shanna's.  He is motion sensitive, but it's triggered by a light sensor rather than a proximity detector, so the strobe set him off endlessly (He vibrates and screams; yes, it's very disturbing).  I just turned him off.

With the bottom cut out, he sat in there perfectly.  I even replaced the back of the set so the strobe wouldn't flash on the wall behind the tv.  (Notice I have the blacklight on in this room.)

I also set this and the console tv set up with X10 units, so I could use the remote control with them.  It was just a gimmick, but it was convenient for shutting them off later that night without having to unplug everything.


I also had it set out the next year (2009) for our party, again with a strobe light in it.  The crazy guy ended up in the '90s set.



Copyright 2008-2009 the Ale[x]orcist.
Home