Halloween: Spiders!

I don't know that it's written into law or anything, but I don't think it's Halloween if you don't have a giant spider on your roof.  Here's how to make one... and then spawn several more!


Here's a photo taken in the daylight showing the giant spider on the roof.

How did we make it?  Read on...


The black fabric was just something I found on the curb that one of our neighbors was throwing out.  "What are you going to do with that," Dani asked.  "I don't know," I said.  "Halloween," I added, as though that was an answer.

Dani can make anything out of scraps and a sewing machine.  MacGuyver has nothing on her.


The stuffing was packing material for eBay stuff I had on hand, mostly styrofoam with some foam cut into blocks shown here waiting to be stuffed.

A lot of the packing was placed inside a plastic bag inside the spider, which turned out to be a pretty good idea since it helped it dry out much faster after having been rained on.


The spider's eyes were buttons we picked up from a craft store.  We bought some in different sizes than the rest since that's how spider eyes are, typically.

The legs are galvanized metal wire about the thickness of wire clothes hangers.  We cut this to length and doubled and wound it upon itself for strength, then covered it over with the fabric.


I added some sheetrock screws to the roof to give a few more attachment points for the cobwebs.  (I have yet to do a home improvement job in which I haven't found an excuse to use sheetrock screws for something.)

You can see that the leg in the center of the frame has been attached to the top of the overhang.  The other legs are attached similarly.


Here's the black widow and the spider.  You put a girl in jeans on a rooftop with Halloween decorations, and you're a Stratocaster in her hand away from the sexiest photo I can conceive of ever taking.

And then the spider started having babies!  This one was still in progress when I took this picture.  Also, the sewing machine had broke down (It's cursed!!!), so that stopped the assembly line.  By the time Dani finally got it working again, she was in high-gear to get the costumes finished.

The baby didn't get up to the roof for a couple days since it rained after Dani finally finished him (or her?).

It's hard to see at this resolution, but I have a white strand holding the spider from the roof, but I also have a thin piece of fishing line attached from the spider's head to the ground, so (s)he doesn't go every which way when the wind blows.




Spider webs!
Dani had this idea we'd put up a web made with wires.  I didn't think it was a great plan (i.e., we have a white house and webs are white), but I went along with it.

You can tell she knows it's a bust, but she won't face that fact.

Here's what it ultimately looked like.  It isn't too bad when it contrasts with the night, but looking at it from the front, it's almost invisible.  The plan was to adorn it with baby spiders, but we never got around to making any.  The small one from last year (shown above) was already hanging from the roof (same as last year) with the big one above it (same as last year).  Next year we'll have to try a different approach.

And here's how it all looks together.

Sadly, the roof was taken over by the glowing skulls in 2009, so the spider retired to hanging out in the front yard and rocking on the porch.

We have plans for him for next year.  Stay tuned....




Copyright 2006-2009 Alexplorer.
Home