Foster Dogs: The Adoptees
The following are some of the foster dogs we've had over the years.  None of these guys are up for adoption, but the ones who currently available can be found on the main page.


Gus was a rescue dog who Dani adopted a year before I met her. 

When Gus was first found by his rescue group, he only weighed 27 pounds, most of which was likely in his enormous German Shepard and Akita head.  He now weighs upwards of 85 pounds.

This is him these days.  His head is still ginormous.

Remembering My Step-Dog

I always referred to Gus as my step-dog.  He pre-dated me in Dani's life by a year.  She adopted him when she was a single girl living on her own, and what single girl living on her own couldn't use a pet bear to scare away any threats?  She says she connected with him right away and immediately knew he was something special that she hasn't seen in another animal since.  She was so enthralled with him at the adoption event (where she wasn't even looking for a dog) that she actually forged paperwork from her apartment complex saying it was okay to have a pet.  This is someone who wouldn't even pad her CV or online dating profile.

Gus had a rough time of it leading up to when the rescue group found him.  He was discovered tied in a field, emaciated.  At least a year old and full-grown by that point, he weighed only 26 lbs., all ribs and his characteristically enormous akita/German shepherd head.  We have a picture of him around here somewhere that the rescue took at the time.  By the time Dani adopted him, he was up to 66 lbs.  At his peak he weighed 95 lbs, which, admittedly, was the result of us giving him a share of left-overs too often.  Still, he deserved it after whatever he went through in that first year of his life.

One of the first times I came over to Dani's place, she had left the front door open for me and was in the back yard with Gus.  As I was coming in through the front, she had just let him inside.  He rounded the corner and the two of us were startled to see one another.  The bark he let out was more fear than aggression.  It unmistakably translated as a terrified "Mommy!" as he raced to her side in the kitchen.  Some watchdog.

In fact, every noise scared him and he was plagued with neuroses.  I think I liked Gus because I felt like I was the only one who understood his sensory gating problems since they mirrored my own.  I once terrified him because my hand brushed against a plastic garment bag of Dani's as I reached out to pet him.  Before I met Dani, a group of dachshunds had terrorized him at the dog park once, and he was frightened of the breed for years.  But he was okay with hot dogs, oddly enough, despite the resemblance.

Most of you who met Gus only in his later years missed out on the playful guy we knew in his youth.  You couldn't take him on any outing around water without expecting to bring home a dog whose fur was drenched.  Back when I was doing "themed" gifts for Dani, one of the "practical" presents I bought her for her birthday (along with the shoe rack and veggie chopper) was a blanket to protect the back seat from the mud and wet-dog smell on the way home from the dog park.  This was a regular occurrence.

Gus was full of energy back then.  I would act like I was going to chase him, and he would adopt a play-crouch, ready to spring up again and race me.  As he tensioned himself in that position, he would drum his front paws on the ground audibly and almost rhythmically before racing around the perimeter of the back yard.  I could stand in one spot and just let him exhaust himself running circles around me.  It was impossible to take him for a walk without pulling muscles in whichever arm held his leash.  He'd go so wild at just the sight of the leash that it was a struggle to even clip it on him.

In later years Gus settled into his role as the bear rug I always described him as.  He certainly had enough fur to be one.  You could brush him for two hours and get as much hair on the last pass as you did on the first.  Wads of it!  I know this because we'd done it before for the duration of a movie, and by the end of it we wound up with enough batting to stuff a pillow, which is what you could have used him as in his entirety.  One of the vet techs today [the day we brought him in to put down] recalled the scene a year or two ago of a much younger Stan [our three year-old] climbing across a docile Gus sprawled across the floor when I had brought him in for shots.  (Note: The shots were for Gus, although Dani and I frequently refer to the pediatrician as "the vet" and neither of us corrects the other.)

Gus tolerated a lot of things like that.  Think about it.  He put up with Dani's house-full of cats before I came along.  Then he put up with years of foster dogs and strays (I counted more than 30 just in the time Dani and I lived together), and he never gave any of them a hard time about sharing his space.  Over the last three years he even had to put up with the tiny, noisy human who moved in with us, one who eventually grew to habitually leave an obstacle course across the living room for Gus.  No matter.  Gus just started plowing through all the toys in the dark.  He was too deaf to hear the racket that jolted me awake.

Actually, going deaf might have been a good thing for that reason.  Not hearing as much meant not being startled as often, even when he needed to be.  You might recall me having to yell "No-Chew!" at Gus.  One of his neuroses was that he would chew his paws until they were bloody stumps.  I sounded like someone with an intractable case of Tourette's.  Once Gus went deaf, yelling at him didn't do any good, so we taught Stan to go over and tug his collar to make him stop, which was nice because it meant I didn't have to be the bad guy all the time.

Everything was slowly failing on him though.  His eyes were starting to get cloudy, but apparently he could still see fairly well.  Toward the end, he was losing control of his bowels.  Over the past month, probably six out of every seven days found me following his trail of poop with a paper towel in hand.  No big deal.  I'm used to poop at this point.  This coincided with that awkward intermediate stage of potty training wherein a proud, pants-less child often presents himself in the kitchen (or wherever I am at the time) and announces, "I pooped!"  Yeah, but not necessarily where he's supposed to.

Not that Gus was eating much, or this would have been a bigger deal.  He had lost a lot of weight over the past month or two and was down to 73 lbs, which was 10 to 15 less than usual for him.  He had been mobile up to this point and capable of eating if he was hungry, so it was a sign that had been getting sicker for a while.  We'd attributed a lot of the above to the natural progression of the aging process.  Even the vet and techs had assumed the same when they saw Gus recently for a series of visits to treat an ulcer on his cornea.  He had also been arthritic for several years, such that you couldn't move his legs certain ways (especially his hips) when trimming his nails.

The decline continued.  We blocked off the stairs last month when Gus had a stuttered series of slides down it.  Thump-thump-thump.  Pause.  A longer series of thumps.  Pause.  A few more thuds as he careened onto the landing.  It wasn't a pleasant sound to hear at any time, never mind at 2am.  He was already on the landing by the time I reached the scene trying to catch him before he fell any further.  We put up a baby gate at the base of the stairs the next day.  It felt cruel to exclude him at night, but the alternative was to let him kill himself the next time he lost his footing when nature called.  Even staying off the stairs, he started getting to the point that he wasn't able to walk without a lot of weakness.  Dani bought carpet runners (some of them were plastic too) to give him traction over the hardwood floors.  We put those down with bath mats and Stan's play pads in all the heavily-trafficked areas.  It helped now that he was losing the strength to keep from sliding spread-eagle like Bambi on a frozen pond.

We knew a few days ago that the end was imminent when he didn't get up nearly the entire day.  He was normally mostly sedentary in his retirement, but not like this.  That night he seemed at once both restless and yet didn't get up to move, even after we gave him some pain pills on top of the arthritis meds.  We brought him in to the vet around 8am the next morning.  He offered to do biopsies and all that, but it was just an expensive diagnosis for what he could already ascertain from just a physical examination.  He admitted that he could already guess sarcolymphoma with about 85-90% certainty.  The lymph nodes in Gus' neck were huge and hard, as were other nodes in less obvious places.  Even his snout had sore areas springing up where smaller nodes had enlarged in just the previous few hours.  The options were to do chemo or simply pursue palliative care, but the choice was obvious given how old he was and how advanced the cancer probably was, given all his symptoms.  We started him on antibiotics and prednisone, beginning with a shot of the latter.  We followed that with a round of pills later that evening.

Dani spent a lot of the night downstairs sleeping on the floor on a blanket next to Gus to keep him company.  He still wasn't moving around much by the next morning, even with several doses in him, by which time they should have had an effect if there was to be any response at all.  He looked like he was just going to have more problems and the suffering would grow even worse.  He had a bad attack of diarrhea on the floor that Dani cleaned up the next morning.  Other than some slices of ham we hand-fed him the night before (plus a slice of cheese with the pills), I don't know that he had eaten anything, just some water that we brought to him because he wasn't getting up to get any on his own.  It looked like it was time to let him go.

Dani made an appointment and we brought him in to the vet's office around 11:30 in the morning.  He could barely walk.  He could stand up, but all his movements were slow and reluctant.  One of the vet techs  looked like she was going to cry as she was admitting us, whether from the sight of Gus struggling or us crying on the way in, I don't know.  I finally just carried him from the waiting room into the patient area rather than force him to go the rest of the way.

We spent some time petting him and saying our goodbyes.  He seemed calm and not in a lot of pain, but he just looked fed up with being sick.  He laid there and took it easy while Stan played with the stickers and coloring book the tech supplied as they were getting everything ready.  Stan didn't really get the full significance of the event, but he was very quiet as they gave Gus the injections and he dozed off peacefully.

Thanks to all for the condolences.  He was definitely a lovable dog and we miss him.


Postscript.  After I wrote the above, I realized that one of the things that affected me the most in all of those was that I'd never known a time with Dani that Gus wasn't there.  When we lost him, it was like losing a part of our history together.  Even though he slowed down in his later years, we did a bit as well.  My memories of the beginning of our relationship are filled with memories of outing with him young and playful as well.

Beetle & Minnie

If you can figure out what breeds Beetle was made out of, let me know.  I resorted to using other animals to describe him.  "Uh, he's got ears like a bat?  His legs are short like a pig?"  Still, he was really intelligent, even though he was gullible enough to let who fed him determine that he should like my ex-wife better than me.

Aside from the impression you'd get from this picture, Minnie seemed to be a nice, pleasant little dog.  She always seemed to get along with strangers, even children, and she and Beetle always played together (sometimes to the point that you'd worry if you didn't know they were just playing).  However, she growled around any other dog. 

When I first wanted to start fostering, one of the coordinators for the humane society came over with a prospective foster dog.  Minnie went up to the dog and put her nose out right toward his.  Then she let out a low growl for about half a second and clamped around his nose, one of her teeth piercing his nostril. 

Obviously when you send the foster group's representative home with a bleeding dog, that sort of puts a damper on and chances of fostering for a while.  I didn't end up actually working with a foster group until after my ex and I split up and she took the dogs.

Copyright 2001-2007 Alexplorer.
Back to the Index